- Left and Right arrows - move left and right
- Up and Down arrows - rotate anti-clockwise and clockwise
- Ctrl - drops quickly
- Left Mouse click - drops quickly
- Mouse Wheel rotates anti-clockwise and clockwise
Combat is about clearing pieces from your board in order to fill up the opponent's board. Blocks will lower in pairs of two from the fourth column at the top of the screen and fall slowly as the player moves them into position. Special pieces called breakers are used to destroy blocks of the same colour merely by touching them. When a breaker touches a like-coloured block, all blocks of that colour that are consecutively adjacent to the breaker will be destroyed.
As opponents attack, unbreakable blocks will fall from the top of the screen and clutter the board. These pieces will turn into regular blocks after the player has placed two more pieces. As the fight progresses, boards become more difficult to keep clear as there are more pieces in play and incoming attacks get larger.
When the fourth column becomes completely full (meaning no more pieces can enter the board) the player is defeated and takes one point of damage.
The following gadget modifications are related to Combat or directly provide bonuses during Combat.
The following is text from tutorials that appear in the game.
The Basics of Combat
"Drop BLOCKS into similar coloured groups. Use BREAKERS to clear them, sending damage to your enemy. Don’t let the blocks reach the top, or you will be knocked out!"
"Breaking larger, joined blocks will send bigger STRIKES against your enemies than breaking individual blocks. Beware: your enemy will be sending DAMAGE in the form of strikes your way too!"
Combos for Bigger Damage
"Setting up and breaking COMBOS, or cascading breaks will multiply your damage done. The bigger the combo, the bigger the damage."
- It is possible to avoid damage from being defeated by quickly exiting and re-entering the puzzle.
- Combo clears are substantially more effective than regular clears. One way to pull off a combo clear is to have your board set up so that clearing one set of blocks will cause a breaker of another colour fall onto its own matching blocks. Building a large enough combo can take out an enemy in a single attack.